one of the things i actually don’t like about my htc phone is the fact that htc has decided to remove the option to disable automatic capitalization.
i haven’t found a direct way to turn auto caps off, but there’s a modification of their virtual keyboard that re-adds this feature:
- go to this article on xda-developers.com and download the version that fits your phone (“high res version” for the desire, “low res for android 1.5” for the hero)
- unzip the package. if you downloaded the file to your computer, transfer the .apk to your phone’s sd card.
- use your favourite android file manager to install. (i’m assuming you can also install through htc sync).
- you’re NOT done yet.
- open up the settings, language & keyboard, and allow “HTC_IME mod”.
- in a text input field (email, notes, sms, wherever), long press the field and choose “select input method”, there choose “HTC_IME mod”.
- if you now go to the keyboard settings (from your keyboard, or via settings), scroll down to the section “Mods by jonasl@xda”. “text input” will lead you to the long-sought option: “disable capitalization”.
this modified input method also adds a bunch of other options, such as: custom top level domains for the “.com” key (long press), a smiley key instead of “hide keyboard”, as well as speech-to-text (android 2.1 only).
you do not need root rights to install.