i’ve been searching for an affordable standalone time-lapse solution to document the upcoming construction of a house. since there isn’t much hands-on information around, i thought i’d share the results of my extensive market research (which has taken up far too much time).
firstly, here are the camera features i was looking for:
- standalone system (no pc connection)
- wide-angle lens
- time lapse capability (interval recording)
- external power supply
- high resolution
- wifi access
- (ideally) automatic ftp upload
- continuous operation for 6+ months
- relative outdoor suitability (to be mounted under a roof)
the camera is going to be mounted on the neighbour’s house, and the distance/height situation requires a horizontal field of view of at least 110 degrees – hence the wide-angle requirement. wifi is available on site, as is a relatively protected camera position under the roof. the construction phase with most outside changes is estimated at several months, so i’m aiming for an interval between 10 and 30 minutes. [more...]
the tiny plant below is a stone plant seedling (aizoaceae), growing in the harsh conditions of the “knersvlakte” quartz gravel landscape in north-eastern south africa. the seedling has only formed its first pair of cotyledons, which are already completely covered in epidermal bladder cells:
bladder cells are modified trichomes (hair-like structures) common in the stone plant family (aizoaceae), which are used to remove salt from the plant system.
to give you a better sense of scale, here’s the same view plus my index finger tip: [more...]
gopro studio software is a simple, straight-forward and free video stitching software.
in short, it’s awesome. however, in a recent video project i experienced two distinct problems: whenever i saved, closed and reopened a project, the opening title (video track) was reset to standard values (content, formatting, length), and titles (title tracks) were shifted a few seconds to the right.
here’s a quick overview of what causes these problems, and what you can do to stop them from happening.
the problem: titles in the title tracks (resulting in overlay text) are aligned perfectly with their respective video clips. after saving the project, closing gopro studio, and re-opening it, these titles are shifted to the right in the timeline, i.e. they are delayed and appear later in the video. this can happen at the beginning of the video, somewhere in the middle, or near the end. however, it always continues to the end of the video.
stellate parenchyma is a form of aeration tissue (aerenchyma) in plants, which helps with internal air circulation in plants. the tissue is typical of aquatic and wetland plants, and consists of cells with large intercellular spaces that allow air supply to underwater plant parts.
due to the very narrow depth of field at high magnification, the picture is actually a focus stack of 22 combined layers. to get a feeling for the three-dimensional structure of this anatomical section, check out the animation below: [more...]
about half a year ago i discovered an app called 1 second everyday, which allows you plug one second of video per day into a growing personal clip compilation.
much has happened in the past year – and then again, not really that much – and with the start of the new year i’m happy to present to you the second half of 2013 in review:
four years “in preparation”, countless sleepless nights in the making.
here it is, finally: a video summary of our little family bike adventure from austria to spain, with 12 seconds of video clips per day.
to activate english captions, just press the captions symbol at the bottom right of the youtube player.
the video was created with gopro studio, a great freeware tool which also accepts non-gopro footage (though some videos may require conversion before you can start).
previously, on thinkoholic.com…
in the long long ago (a.k.a. 2009), my parents, little brother and i embarked on a small adventure through europe.
our goal was to get to denia (spain) right from our doorstep in rum/innsbruck (austria), using only our bicycles, while keeping the budget as low as possible. to make things a bit more interesting, we split up into two teams racing each other: team 1 (mom and dad) took a route through italy and france, team 2 (anton and i) went through switzerland and france. the team that arrived at our destination first, would win.
we sent a postcard home every few days to record our progress along the 2200 km journey and prove when we were where.
…here’s part three of our adventure: teams one and two – anton and i, reunited with our parents – cycling south from figueres, spain (near the french border) south towards our destination, dénia.