last week, while working a “night shift” (so to speak), i came across a hedgehog that was caught in a piece of plastic with a hole in it. the plastic ring was stuck right between its front and hind legs. it seemed to have gotten used to the situation and was just going to live with this (very flat, very tight, and totally-missing-the-point-) hoola hoop.
i was able to remove it without anybody (neither the hedgehog nor me) getting hurt.
this marks the first time i’ve actually seen for myself that throwing such things away without cutting them through first can be dangerous to the local wildlife.
(image source: dpiw.tas.gov.au)